16-year-old among 14 suspects linked to Krugersdorp gang rape

Loading...

16-year-old among 14 suspects linked to Krugersdorp gang rape

16-year-old among 14 suspects linked to Krugersdorp gang rape.

The rape of eight women in West Village, Krugersdorp, has been positively linked to seven additional suspects.

Loading...

After seven were identified on Wednesday, there are now a total of 14 suspects.

Numerous allegations of rape, robbery, and violating the Immigration Act are only a few of the many accusations brought against the suspects.

Soon after the eight ladies were robbed and sexually assaulted on July 28 while being filmed for a music video in West Village, more than 80 illegal miners were also detained, including them.

Loading...

Court Case

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) reports that the state has proven the likelihood that the 14 suspects would be successfully prosecuted, with one of them being a confirmed juvenile, aged 16.

“Yesterday, we had one of the accused persons alleging that he was a minor so the investigating officer was then tasked to [look into the matter]. This morning, he took the minor to Leratong Hospital so that an age assessment can be conducted.

Loading...

“That has been done and the feedback therefore is that indeed he is a minor,” NPA Gauteng spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane told the media outside Krugersdorp Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.

“[The minor] was then separated from the case that involves all the adult accused, and he will now be undergoing the preliminary inquiry, which is expected to happen [on Friday],” she further said.

Mjonondwane added that the 16-year-old would be held at a place of safety.

Loading...

She also explained that the court hearings of the 82 suspects will be separated as the proceedings continue.

“All the 14 accused persons were part of the 82 that appeared in court so now they have been separated because the remaining suspects are now are facing the charge of contravening the Immigration Act.

“Most of those accused appeared [in court] yesterday and their cases were postponed,” she said.

Loading...

While the rest have said they intend to request legal aid, several of the accused have waived bail after entering guilty pleas.

The NPA has also decided against adding new suspects to the rape accusation as investigations proceed.

Since then, it has come to light that the film team, which included eight women and totaled 22, did not have the authorization to film close to the abandoned mines where the event occurred.

Loading...

News24 received confirmation from the Mogale City Municipality that no application had been made to film there.

Before granting or denying approval, Murray claimed that the municipality had to do an assessment.

All of the victims were robbed by the suspects of clothing, jewelry, telephones, passports, watches, purses, cash, cameras, and other belongings worth at least R1.5 million.

Loading...

A police operation aimed at zama zamas resulted in the arrest of more than 300 illegal miners on the West Rand, according to Police Minister Bheki Cele.

Loading...

Related Posts