Bill Cosby’s s*xual assault case against Judy Huth has a decision. According to court documents obtained by E! News, a jury in California found the Cosby Show star, 84, responsible for sexually assaulting Huth at the Playboy Mansion in the 1970s when she was a teenager. This verdict came nearly a month after the civil trial got underway. Huth received a damages award of $500,000 from the jury, which debated for two days last week before having to select an alternate juror on June 20.
Despite having refuted Huth’s claims, Cosby did not appear at the trial in person.
Gloria Allred, whose law office represented Huth, thanked “all of the women who spoke out over the years, and refused to be silent in the face of what they believed to be injustice and sexual abuse by powerful men” in a statement to E! News. Huth, 64, was praised for her “courage and many sacrifices to win justice in this case.”
“Today our client, Judy Huth, won real change because she fought Bill Cosby one step at a time over seven and a half years, and she proved with the jury’s verdict that Mr. Cosby did s.xually assault her when she was a minor, and that he should be held accountable for what he did to her,” she said. “We are proud of Ms. Huth and our victory against Bill Cosby
Nearly a year after Cosby’s criminal conviction for the 2004 sex assault of Andrea Constand was overturned, a jury has now found him guilty. Before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court reached its conclusion, the comedian had already served more than two years of a three- to 10-year jail term when it was discovered that an arrangement he had struck with a prior prosecutor would have precluded him from being indicted in the case.
BREAKING: Jury has reached a verdict in the Judy Huth v Bill Cosby civil case. After nearly 10 hours of deliberation, they have answered all 9 questions on the verdict sheet. Verdict will be read at 3:30PM PST. @FoxNews
— Alexandria Hernandez (@AlexandriaHrndz) June 21, 2022
“This is what we have been working for and this is justice and justice for Black America,” Cosby’s publicist Andrew Wyatt said in a statement at the time.
When several women came forward in 2014 and accused the comedian of past s*xual assault and misbehavior, Huth first filed her complaint against Cosby. Huth was able to pursue a civil lawsuit under California law, despite the fact that the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office was unable to bring charges based on her accusations since the statute of limitations had passed.
While Cosby was incarcerated, the civil case—which accused him of “s*xual battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligent infliction of emotional distress”—had been mostly postponed. On June 1, the trial commenced. Cosby’s attorneys were contacted by E! News for comment on the verdict, but no response was received.