Shock as Boko Haram massacre more than 100 rice farmers in Nigeria
More than 100 rice farmers and fisherman have been brutally slaughtered and beheaded by suspected Islamist militants in Nigeria.
It is believed that the workers were rounded up and slaughtered by the militants in Borno state.
Islamist militants also kidnapped their wives and daughters after barbaric attack.
Associated Press reports Boko Haram has not claimed responsibility but is believed to be behind attack
On Sunday, villagers buried the dead but dozens, including women, are still unaccounted for.
Boko Haram is believed to have carried out the attack although they are yet to claim responsibility.
“At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack,’ the UN said in a statement.
‘The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year,’ the statement further said, blaming ‘non-state armed groups’ without naming Boko Haram.
The UN has called for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice.
The bloodletting centred on the village of Koshobe near the Borno state capital Maiduguri, with assailants targeting farm workers on rice fields, with a pro-government anti-jihadist militia saying the assailants tied up the labourers and slit their throats.
Borno Governor Babaganan Umara Zulum attended the burial Sunday in the nearby village of Zabarmari of 43 bodies recovered on Saturday, saying the toll could rise after search operations resumed.
The attack took place as voters went to the polls in long-delayed local elections in Borno State.
The polls had been repeatedly postponed because of an increase in attacks by Boko Haram and a rival dissident faction, the IS-affiliated Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
The two groups have been blamed for increasing attacks on loggers, farmers and fishermen whom they accuse of spying for the army and pro-government militia.
Last month Boko Haram militants slaughtered 22 farmers working on their irrigation fields near Maiduguri, in two separate attacks.
At least 36,000 people have been killed in the jihadist conflict, which has forced around two million people to flee their homes since 2009.