Tony and Lynn Forbes speak on death threats & relationship with Tembes after AKA’s death.
Two months after South African singer Kiernan “AKA” Forbes was killed in Durban, no arrests have been made.
Given that it has previously been reported that he got death threats, his father, Tony Forbes, told You Magazine that they suspect someone ordered a hit on his son.
Tony claims that the fact that AKA was murdered in Durban is proof that there were undoubtedly threats made against his life. He did add, though, that they are unsure of the source of the threats.
Many South Africans saw AKA’s passing as significant because his late fiancée Anele “Nellie” Tembe, who died in April 2021 after falling from the 10th story of the Pepperclub Hotel on Loop Street in Cape Town, was from Durban.
Many people, including her family, think AKA pushed Anele when she tragically passed away while they were together.
However, Tony claims that Moses Tembe, the father of Anele, contacted him to express his sorrow when the Company hitmaker passed away.
“We know someone ordered an assassination on Kiernan and it was executed. We think it was a hit specifically on him and not on the family,” his dad says.
Despite speculations, however, the Forbeses do not live in fear
“It doesn’t mean we’re not vigilant or safety-conscious, but we don’t feel less safe or more threatened because of what happened.”
Seven days after AKA was killed, on February 17, City Press published a shocking letter from Tembe’s attorneys accusing him of tossing or shoving Anele off the balcony the morning of her death.
The NPA met with the Tembe family in June 2022, according to a statement made by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in the Western Cape, Nicolette Bell, on Monday, February 13.
The DPP informed the family during the meeting that they had made a “informed decision” not to press charges against AKA after conducting a “extensive investigation” that resulted in “several expert opinions and forensic reports.”
The Tembes then served a letter to the NPA two weeks after the meeting, claiming that they disagreed with the NPA’s decision not to prosecute the rapper because they thought there was enough evidence to move on with the case.