How is Natasha Thahane related to Desmond Tutu?
South African actress Natasha Thahane is the granddaughter of Desmond Tutu. Desmond Tutu married Nomalizo Leah Shenxane in 1955. While they may come from different generations and fields, their impact on society is undeniable.
When it comes to influential figures in South Africa, two names that stand out are Natasha Thahane and Desmond Tutu.
Natasha Thahane, a rising star in the entertainment industry, has been inspired by the teachings and values of the legendary Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
Who was Archbishop Desmond Tutu?
- Desmond Tutu was a South African Anglican bishop and theologian, known for his work as an anti-apartheid and human rights activist.
- He was Bishop of Johannesburg from 1985 to 1986 and then Archbishop of Cape Town from 1986 to 1996, in both cases being the first black African to hold the position.
- Born: October 7, 1931, Klerksdorp, South Africa
- Died: December 26, 2021 (age 90 years), Oasis Care Centre, Cape Town, South Africa
- Children: Mpho Andrea Tutu, Naomi Nontombi Tutu, Trevor Thamsanqa Tutu, Theresa Thandeka Tutu
- Spouse: Nomalizo Leah Tutu (m. 1955–2021)
- Grandchildren: Onalenna Burris, Ziyanda Palesa Tutu, Nyaniso Burris,Natasha Thahane
- Date of burial: January 1, 2022
Tutu was married to Nomalizo Leah Shenxane, born on 14 October 1933 in Krugersdorp, South Africa. Tutu and Leah got married on 2 July 1955. They had four children, Trevor Thamsanqa, Theresa Thandeka, Naomi Nontombi, and Mpho Andrea, all of whom attended the Waterford Kamhlaba School in Swaziland.
How Is Natasha Thahane Related To Desmond Tutu?
South African actress Natasha Thahane is the granddaughter of Desmond Tutu. Desmond Tutu married Nomalizo Leah Shenxane in 1955. Their first child was a son, Trevor, who was born in 1956. Trevor Tutu and Nomaswazi Mamakoko had Natasha Thahane on September 25, 1995.
The Journey of Natasha Thahane
- Born as Nokuthula Tutu (born 25 September 1995), also known as Natasha Thahane, is a South African actress, model and media personality.
- She is best known for her roles in the television series Blood & Water, Skeem Saam, The Queen, and It’s OK We’re Family.
- Recently joined the BET drama Isono playing a role of Millicent Since then, she has garnered a massive following and has become one of the most recognizable faces in the industry.
Early Life Of Natasha Thahane
- Thahane was born in Orlando East to Trevor Thamsanqa Tutu and Nomaswazi Mamakoko.
- She is the granddaughter of Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
- She moved to Cape Town where she attended Milnerton High School.
- She went on to graduate with a degree in accounting from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- In 2018, she completed a 1-Year Conservatory program in Acting for Film at the New York Film Academy in Manhattan.
Who Are The Parents And Family Of Natasha Thahane?
Natasha’s mother is called Nomaswazi Mamakoko while the dad is Trevor Thamsanqa Tutu. The father is the son of the widely known Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, which makes her the granddaughter of the archbishop, as earlier
She also has one known younger sister, the name of her younger sister is Molemo Thahane, and one known younger brother called Sthembiso Khoza, making her the first child of three children .
The Influence of Desmond Tutu
So, what’s it like to live under the same roof as the legendary archbishop?
“Being Mkhulu’s grandchild is okay,” she says.
“I lived with them for two years in Cape Town, while I was doing my grade 11 and 12. It was chilled- he’s a great guy,” she adds.
And, even though dinner table discussions are interesting in the house she says the family hardly ever discuss politics, choosing instead to focus on religion.
Desmond Tutu, a renowned South African Anglican cleric and human rights activist, played a pivotal role in the fight against apartheid. His unwavering commitment to justice, equality, and forgiveness made him a beacon of hope for many.
Tutu’s teachings on the importance of empathy, compassion, and forgiveness resonated deeply with Natasha Thahane. She saw in him a role model who stood up for what he believed in and used his platform to bring about positive change.
Embracing Tutu’s Values
One of the key values that Natasha Thahane has embraced from Desmond Tutu is the power of forgiveness. In a world filled with anger and division, she believes that forgiveness is essential for healing and moving forward.
Through her social media platforms, Natasha spreads messages of love, acceptance, and unity. She encourages her followers to let go of grudges and embrace forgiveness as a way to build a better society.
Another value that Natasha has learned from Tutu is the importance of using one’s platform for good. She believes that as a public figure, she has a responsibility to advocate for positive change and raise awareness about social issues.
Inspiring the Next Generation
Natasha Thahane’s journey, inspired by Desmond Tutu, serves as a source of inspiration for the next generation. Through her success and dedication to making a difference, she shows young people that they too can overcome obstacles and achieve their dreams.
She encourages young people to find their passion and use it to create positive change in their communities. Whether it’s through acting, writing, or any other form of expression, Natasha believes that everyone has the power to make a difference.
Natasha Thahane :After The Death Of Her Grandfather Desmond Tutu
Natasha was heartbroken by her grandfather’s death. She didn’t make a tweet or said anything. Perhaps, she din’t want any more trolling from her critics.
At least Desmond Tutu was able to influence the government to give his grandchild Natasha money to study in USA
Wena your grandfather wants you slaughter Goats and cows for him when he’s dead but he never a left butchery..
That man won.
— ChrisExcel (@ChrisExcel102) December 26, 2021
However, she posted a video on Instagram of a funeral dirge. She blocked the comments so that no negative comments can be sent to her. The song is an emotional one. It is clear she is so heartbroken!
- In December 2021 Natasha found herself in hot water with Mzansi social media users, following the death of her grandfather. This occurred when she stated in an interview with Mac G on Podcast and Chill that she had been awarded hundreds of thousands of rands in 2017 to continue her education abroad.
- Tweeps were outraged when she revealed that Baleka Mbete had secured the monies for her. She has recently walked back her statement, claiming that she has no personal ties with the politician. Mbete and the Department of Arts and Culture have denied receiving R1 million from the actress.
- This led Mzansi to connect some dots about this issue in relation to her grandfather. They assumed that Thahane got these funds because her grandfather had an influence in the matter.
Natasha Thahane’s rise to fame and her commitment to making a difference in society are a testament to the lasting impact of Desmond Tutu’s teachings. Through his values of forgiveness, empathy, and using one’s platform for good, Natasha has become a role model for many.
As she continues to inspire and empower others, Natasha Thahane is a shining example of the next generation of leaders who are driven by the principles of justice, equality, and compassion.